Quantcast

BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Tom Wright-5

The following bug has been logged online:

Bug reference:      4381
Logged by:          Tom
Email address:      [hidden email]
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.3
Operating system:   FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p3
Description:        Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground
Details:

I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do, postgres
will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know how to
fix it?

--
Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Heikki Linnakangas-2
Tom wrote:
> I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do, postgres
> will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know how to
> fix it?

How are you starting it then? Just run "postgres -D <datadir>", and it
will stay in foreground.

PS. this is unlikely a bug. Please use the pgsql-general mailing list
next time.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas
   EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com

--
Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Tom Wright-5
I'm starting it with "postgres -D <datadir>", and it immediately forks
into the background....

Is there something I can do to trap some debug output for you?

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>> I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do,
>> postgres
>> will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know
>> how to
>> fix it?
>
> How are you starting it then? Just run "postgres -D <datadir>", and it
> will stay in foreground.
>
> PS. this is unlikely a bug. Please use the pgsql-general mailing list
> next time.
>


--
Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Tom Lane-2
Tom Wright <[hidden email]> writes:
> I'm starting it with "postgres -D <datadir>", and it immediately forks
> into the background....

Perhaps you have silent_mode set in the configuration file?  AFAIK the
postmaster will never fork away from the caller unless that's been set
in one way or another.

                        regards, tom lane

--
Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Tom Wright-5
That did it (was set to silent_mode = on by default).

Thank you very much.

Tom Lane wrote:

> Tom Wright <[hidden email]> writes:
>  
>> I'm starting it with "postgres -D <datadir>", and it immediately forks
>> into the background....
>>    
>
> Perhaps you have silent_mode set in the configuration file?  AFAIK the
> postmaster will never fork away from the caller unless that's been set
> in one way or another.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
>  


--
Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list ([hidden email])
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-bugs

Loading...