Quantcast

WARNING: worker took too long to start; cancelled on VACCUM ANALYZE

WARNING: worker took too long to start; cancelled on VACCUM ANALYZE

A.Bhattacharya

Hi All,

I am facing the below error when executing “VACCUM ANALYZE” on the several tables and also the entire PostgreSQL database hanging up and not responding.

WARNING:  worker took too long to start; cancelled

 I have disabled my AV and I have the modified the below parameters in my postgresql.conf file

  • shared_buffer = 1024MB
  • max_fsm_pages = 409600
  • max_fsm_relations = 5000

I am using PostgreSQL 8.3.5 on windows 32 bit machine.

Any help would be highly appreciated as this is kind of show stopper for me.

Re: WARNING: worker took too long to start; cancelled on VACCUM ANALYZE

Alban Hertroys-3
On 1 Dec 2009, at 11:00, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am facing the below error when executing "VACCUM ANALYZE" on the
> several tables and also the entire PostgreSQL database hanging up and
> not responding.
>
> WARNING:  worker took too long to start; cancelled
>
> I have disabled my AV and I have the modified the below parameters in

If I recall correctly Windows doesn't have sockets so the connection is made using the loopback device. Maybe the worker process isn't allowed to connect and after a while it times out trying?

If it's not that, there is a good chance that your AV software installed all kinds of hooks that can subtly change the behaviour of system functions. If that's the case disabling it is not enough, you should try to uninstall it and hope it removes all the hooks.

Alban Hertroys

!DSPAM:737,4b14f01211735785317057!

Re: WARNING: worker took too long to start; cancelled on VACCUM ANALYZE

Sam Jas
May you try to de-install AV & try to take a dump ?

Thanks
Dhaval