Quantcast

help running pgAdmin in debian -lenny

dalitec
Hi

I am a newbie and I am running a debian lenny web server and installed pgAdmin with apt-get install. I am connected to the web server via ssh and have root access. I read the html page in the usr/share/pgadmin3/docs that tells all the different options. How do I run pgadmin remotely from a linux based client( I am actually running moblin 2.1 on a laptop) or on the web server itself if I cant or shouldn't use remotely.

Thanks for any help

Jay

Re: help running pgAdmin in debian -lenny

Guillaume Lelarge-3
Le 18/02/2011 12:40, dalitec a écrit :

> Hi
>
> I am a newbie and I am running a debian lenny web server and installed
> pgAdmin with apt-get install. I am connected to the web server via ssh and
> have root access. I read the html page in the usr/share/pgadmin3/docs that
> tells all the different options. How do I run pgadmin remotely from a linux
> based client( I am actually running moblin 2.1 on a laptop) or on the web
> server itself if I cant or shouldn't use remotely.

If you are on the same network, just allow your computer to access the
database server with the pg_hba.conf file.

Otherwise, you can use an SSH tunnel.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: help running pgAdmin in debian -lenny

Erwin Brandstetter-4
On Feb 20, 11:51 pm, [hidden email] (Guillaume Lelarge) wrote:
(...)
> If you are on the same network, just allow your computer to access the
> database server with the pg_hba.conf file.
>
> Otherwise, you can use an SSH tunnel.

Details to the above suggestion for internet connections (also for
future reference):
Under Linux you can just use ssh on the command line. Something like:
   ssh my_server_ip_here -Nf -L5433:my_server_ip_here:5432
For help try
   man ssh

Under Windows, one good way is to use puTTY:
Example on how to open an SSH tunnel using port forwarding with puTTY:
   http://www.cs.uu.nl/technical/services/ssh/putty/puttyfw.html

As an alternative to an SSH tunnel you can allow access from the
internet on your DB server. You should know your way around security,
though! If in doubt consult:
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html

For this, you need to allow connections from the internet in
postgresql.conf:
   listen_addresses = '*'

I would advise to restrict internet connections to SSL. Also i would
only enable known IP adress(es) of the client(s). So you would add a
line like this to your pg_hba.conf:
   # Access for John Doe from home
   hostssl  all         myuser       insert_client_ip_here/32     md5

Be sure not to allow unwanted connections from the internet.

Regards
Erwin